Subject: Re: bug#46925: Ripgrep tests failures due to bstr update

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 22:40:27 +0100

Hello,

JOULAUD François via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> writes:

> Two possibilities seems to be possible here.
>
> Upgrade rust-bstr-0.2 to be 0.2.12, possibly only upgrading needed
> dependent packages.

Just to be clear, your are suggesting a downgrade, because currently,
Guix packages bstr 0.2.15. Downgrading is not trivial because bstr
0.2.15 is mandatory for bat 0.18.

We might provide both bstr 0.2.12 and 0.2.15. Note that 11 packages are
requiring bstr. Providing two bstr is only possible if none of those
packages are both among bat and ripgrep dependencies. I didn't check but
I'm not very optimistic.

> Patch new ripgrep to understand the old bstr debug format in its
> tests.

I'll pass, sorry.

> Disabling tests is bad. Disabling tests when we diverge from supported
> upstream configuration (in this cas as we don't use recommended version
> of deps) is in my opinion even worst.

I'm not sure this kind of generalization helps here. Even if you may be
right in theory, looking at the number of "#:tests #f" among packages,
disabling tests is probably a necessary evil in practice.

Moreover, AFAICT, this incompatibility does not break functionality in
ripgrep. It just breaks its tests. Disabling them for a while does not
sound so bad, after all. Is it?

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou