Subject: bug#46925: Ripgrep tests failures due to bstr update

From: JOULAUD François <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 16:22:02 +0000

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 09:38:39PM +0100, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> John Soo <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I just talked to burntsushi on github about the failing ripgrep tests.
> > It looks like the version of bstr we are now using changed the
> > representation of bstrs and caused us test failures.  Changing the
> > version of bstr used in [email-masked] to 0.2.12 should fix the
> > problem.
> 
> I disabled tests in ripgrep a few hours ago for the same reason. This is
> not great, but I couldn't find another solution. In particular,
> replacing rust-bstr-0.2 with a special rust-bstr-0.2.12 did not work
> because regular rust-bstr-0.2 is still used as a transitive dependency.
> 
> Do you think of a better way to solve this?

Two possibilities seems to be possible here.

Upgrade rust-bstr-0.2 to be 0.2.12, possibly only upgrading needed
dependent packages.

Patch new ripgrep to understand the old bstr debug format in its tests.
This patch must be transitionnal while waiting for a compatible rust-bstr
package in Guix.

Disabling tests is bad. Disabling tests when we diverge from supported
upstream configuration (in this cas as we don't use recommended version
of deps) is in my opinion even worst.

François