Subject: Re: [External] : bug#46884: [PATCH] 27.1; Cannot run find-dired with -maxdepth

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 18:20:08 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 15:42:59 +0000
> 
> I agree with Allen about not providing special
> interactive support for things like max-depth.

There was never such a suggestion.  It's a misunderstanding if you
think such a proposal was on the table.

> `find-dired' has the property that what you specify
> is available as default for the next time you use it.
> That helps with this question of interactive support,
> I think.

Assuming the user invokes the command several times in the same
session.  But that isn't a given, not at all.  For one-off
invocations, having to set a variable is a nuisance.  Compare with
"C-x d", for example.

> Remember that `find' pretty much has its own language.
> Users of `find' generally need to be familiar with
> that language, more or less.

I _am_ familiar with that language.  So for me and others like me,
being able to specify command-line options in one-off invocations is a
boon.

Of course, if I'm the only one interested in such a feature, so be it.