Subject: bug#46881: closed (Re: bug#46881: 28.0.50; pdumper dumping causes way too many syscalls)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 08:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46881: 28.0.50; pdumper dumping causes way too many syscalls

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46881: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46881
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46881: 28.0.50; pdumper dumping causes way too many syscalls
From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 10:00:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

16 juni 2021 kl. 00.44 skrev Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>:

> Okay. I'm convinced.

All right, pushed, and closing this bug.
Thanks, Pip!

Subject: 28.0.50; pdumper dumping causes way too many syscalls
From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 20:33:42 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Playing around with the WebAssembly port, I noticed that pdumper, in
creating the dump file, makes way too many syscalls: it uses
emacs_write(), not fwrite(), so these calls translate to actual
syscalls and context switches. On immature systems (or in special
circumstances like a device mounted synchronously), they might
actually cause a hardware write for each syscall, which would wear out
flash quickly and be generally wasteful.

I've looked into the problem, and it seems easy to solve and worth it
in terms of debuggability and performance.

Patch will be attached once this has a bug number.