Subject: Re: bug#46876: [PATCH] Find conflict markers in opened buffers as well

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 04:51:00 +0200

On 02.03.2021 21:40, Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
> Call to (vc-find-conflicted-file) will only result in jump to a conflict
> marker when file is a newly opened one. When a file is already open in
> Emacs, (vc-find-conflicted-file) only switches to that buffer, so we
> need to explicitly jump to a conflict marker.
> 
> * lisp/vc/smerge-mode.el (smerge-vc-next-conflict): Search for a
> conflict marker if call to (vc-find-conflicted-file) haven't resulted in
> a jump to one. And remove `buffer` variable that becomes unused.

Thank you, this makes sense. Applied and pushed to master.

This part is suboptimal:

 > When a file is already open in
 > Emacs, (vc-find-conflicted-file) only switches to that buffer

...and I had to spend some time figuring out why that happens (hint: 
vc-git-find-file-hook), and that kind of unpredictable behavior is Not 
Good(tm).

I don't have an alternative fix to propose, though. At least not at this 
time.