Subject: Re: bug#46859: 28.0.50; [PATCH]: Add option to truncate long lines in xref.el

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 16:06:20 +0200

On 06.03.2021 14:58, Gregory Heytings wrote:
>> What you're thinking of seems to require a Grep-specific version of 
>> xref--convert-hits logic, which in the end constructs specialized xref 
>> items with a new type of location (alternative to xref-file-location).
>>
> 
> Yes, that's what I'm thinking of indeed, but it's not specific to "grep" 
> because it would work the same way with ripgrep, ag and ack.  But indeed 
> it's specific to grep-like tools.

Ah, ok. If ripgrep can do this as well, it would be more general (a good 
thing).

Note that it mentions the following in the description of its -b argument:

   If ripgrep does transcoding, then the byte offset is in terms of the
   the result of transcoding and not the original data. This applies
   similarly to another transformation on the source,
   such as decompression or a --pre filter. Note that when the PCRE2
   regex engine is used, then UTF-8 transcoding is done by default.