Subject: Re: bug#46853: Confusing terminology "face height" instead of "font size"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 01:27:54 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> My understanding of what it does is:
>
> 1) The default face is definitely adjusted (even if it has an explicit
>    :height).
>
> 2) The header face is also adjusted (even if it has an explicit :height)
>    and you have that variable set.
>
> 3) All other fonts will also be adjusted, except those with an explicit
>    :height.
>
> There may be other rules, too (are there other face attributes that
> hinder size changes?), but this seems to indicate to me that we should
> just say (as in Stefan's patches) "changes the size of the fonts", and
> then link to a manual node that explains the three points above?

I've now applied Stefan's patch to Emacs 29, adjusting for most of Eli's
comments -- but not the ones about mentioning the default face as much.
Instead I've explicitly explained the above in both the manual and the
doc string, which should make things less confusing, I think.

Feel free to adjust further, of course.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no