Subject: bug#46853: Confusing terminology "face height" instead of "font size"

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 10:05:28 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It also maintains the terminological confusion that is the reason for
>> this bug report -- i.e. it talks about "the default face" instead of
>> "the font size" [in the current buffer].
>
> There's no such thing as "the font in the current buffer" in modern
> Emacs, because we are capable of using quite a few fonts in the same
> buffer.

(Right, but I didn't write "the font in the current buffer".  ;-))

> Which doc string are you alluding to here?  There's IMO a difference
> between doc strings of user commands and doc strings of the rest of
> the functions and variables.  The latter don't need to cater too much
> to users, so they can be more rigorous.  Doc strings for user commands
> and options should perhaps start with an easier to understand text,
> but should afterwards have notes that prevent erroneous
> interpretation.

Perhaps we are in violent agreement, because I agree completely.

> IOW, we need to consider the doc strings on a case by case basis.

I'll rework the patch (more carefully this time) so we have a better
basis for such a discussion.