Subject: bug#46853: Confusing terminology "face height" instead of "font size"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 21:05:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> (set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :height 120)
>> 
>> in my .emacs.
>
> Which exactly demonstrates that not all the faces will have their size
> changed.  Right?

Sure.  But the rules are a bit more subtle, so I wonder whether talking
about the "default face" everywhere is the best way of doing it.

My understanding of what it does is:

1) The default face is definitely adjusted (even if it has an explicit
   :height).

2) The header face is also adjusted (even if it has an explicit :height)
   and you have that variable set.

3) All other fonts will also be adjusted, except those with an explicit
   :height.

There may be other rules, too (are there other face attributes that
hinder size changes?), but this seems to indicate to me that we should
just say (as in Stefan's patches) "changes the size of the fonts", and
then link to a manual node that explains the three points above?

Does that sound reasonable? 

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no