Subject: [bug#46848] [PATCHES] [core-updates] PEP 517 python-build-system

From: Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 15:51:29 +0100

Hi everyone,

I pushed the 3rd version of my new PEP 517-based python-build-system
into wip-python-pep517. I removed the dependency on python-pypa-build
for building packages and instead implemented building with a single
python invokation. This simplifies bootstrapping Python. The 'install
phase also learned how to create scripts in bin/ from an entry points
specification.

Currently 600 of 2212 packages using python-build-system are failing to
build. That’s alot, but most failures so far were related to testsuites,
which were not enabled correctly previously because 'check was not
replaced manually. And some fail because upstream does not separate
sources and tests and a name clash occurs. This also happens when C
extensions are build and there does not seem to be a workaround.

This number does not include Python 2 packages, which will probably
break with this new build system. Since Python 2 is EOL anyway I suggest
to entirely remove Python 2 support before merging this changeset. After
merging we should upgrade the entire Python ecosystem, because alot of
packages are already years old.

Cheers,
Lars

PS: Maxim: This is your ping for a review (via #52269). Thanks :)