Subject: [bug#46846] [PATCH] gnu: Add guile-cbor.

From: pukkamustard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 09:02:00 +0100

> I had a quick look at the code.  It’s convenient to have a
> Guile-JSON-like interface.  OTOH, CBOR lends itself well to more
> efficient implementations, à la Bytestructures; I wonder if 
> there could
> additionally be a syntactic layer that would generate 
> specialized
> serializers/deserializers.  Thoughts?

Interesting, I didn't know about bytestructures. A bytestructures
like-implementation of CBOR would be cool.

One thing I'm not quite sure about is that CBOR is variable 
length. For
example an integer is represented in either 1, 2, 3, 5 or 9 bytes 
depending
on how large the integer is. From initial glance, I think 
bytestructures
is efficient because structures are fixed-size and the 
implementation
can do address arithmetic for accessing specific fields.

But there also seem to be "dynamic" bytestructures descriptors. So 
I'm
probably lacking imagination. I'll check out bytestructures...

-pukkamustard