Subject: bug#4684 closed by Adrian Robert <[email-masked]> (Re: ispell not recognized when emacs 23 (on OS X) launched from icon )

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:25:08 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,ns package:

#4684: ispell not recognized when emacs 23 (on OS X) launched from icon

It has been closed by Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Adrian Robert <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4684: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4684
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: ispell not recognized when emacs 23 (on OS X) launched from icon
From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: stucker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:20:20 -0400

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4684

This results from PATH being different when starting from icon.  You  
can fix it by one of several means.  Please refer to the manual or  
search on the net about Emacs Mac OS X, and path.

Emacs does none of this by default to avoid unexpected differences  
from other OS X applications, which follow the same rules.  If you do  
not like this behavior, the Aquamacs distribution does set PATH I  
believe.

Subject: ispell not recognized when emacs 23 (on OS X) launched from icon
From: stucker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.7.0, NS
apple-appkit-949.46) on OS X 10.5.8.

When I launch emacs from the terminal with

$ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs &

I can use ispell as expected.

However, if I launch emacs by clicking on its icon - which presumably points
to the same binary file -
I get the following error:

apply: Searching for program: No such file or directory, ispell

Ispell is on my load path
("/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/"); even when I
do one of the following I get the same error:

(load "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/ispell")
(add-to-list 'load-path
"/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes")

The fact that it works if I launch the same application with the same .emacs
file from the terminal (no -Q option necessary) leads me to believe that the
conflict is not in any of my settings.

Thanks much!
-Stephen

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/ispell-not-recognized-when-emacs-23-%28on-OS-X%29-launched-from-icon-tp25815078p25815078.html
Sent from the Emacs - Bugs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.