Subject: Re: bug#46837: Makefile dependencies for info files

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 11:52:41 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I would not recommend that, which in any case would only get past the
>> configure step, leaving make to fail. Instead I would recommend
>> installing makeinfo, which is widely available and where even an
>> ancient version will do.
>
> Sounds reasonable.  I don't see why you should need to build Emacs from
> the git repository on systems where you can't install makeinfo.
>
> Building from git should mostly be for development and brave souls
> wanting to try the bleeding edge.

Builds on emba fail now:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
configure: error: You do not seem to have makeinfo >= 4.13, and your
source tree does not seem to have pre-built manuals in the 'info' directory.
Please install a suitable version of makeinfo.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And no, we don't install texinfo every single test run. Performance, and
the like.

I have applied "touch info/emacs" prior the "./configure" step, but then
"make bootstrap" fails with the error shown above.

See also <https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/jobs/14482/raw>.

Best regards, Michael.