Subject: Re: bug#46837: Makefile dependencies for info files

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 12:38:38 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> So it will fail even if all the Info files are already in the tree,
> when makeinfo is not available?  Or are you saying that in order for
> "make" not to fail one must touch not just info/emacs.info, but also
> all the rest of the *.info files?

?

If all the info file are already there, make will see that they are newer
than their dependencies, so it won't try to rebuild them.
There's no need to "touch" anything, and I would/did not recommend
doing so.

> No argument there, I was talking about fire escape.  After all, we are
> removing a "feature" that existed in previous releases.  

--without-makeinfo was always irrelevant in _releases_, where the info
files are pre-built.

> It would be good to tell people how to get back the old behavior, I
> think.

They can always do "make lisp" (I think) instead of "make [all]".

Or you can add a target "all-noinfo" which is just "all" without "info",
but I don't know who the users of such a target would be.