Subject: Re: [bug#46830] [PATCH Added hdf5-1.12-parallel-openmpi] * gnu/packages/maths.scm (hdf5-1.12-parallel-openmpi): New package based on HDF5 1.12.0

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 10:41:28 +0100

Hi,

(Please CC the bug number.)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 01:32, Gerd Heber <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:45 AM zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > (define-public hdf5-1.12-parallel-openmpi
> >   (package/inherit hdf5-parallel-openmpi
> >     (version (package-version hdf5-1.12))
> >     (source (package-source hdf5-1.12)))
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> Hey, thanks, very clever! Should I submit a new patch or is there a
> way to patch the patch?

The usual way is to send a v2 which is the patch to apply to the Git
tree (and *not* a patch to apply to a patch to apply to the tree).

However, personally I am not in favor to add to Guix proper too much
versions of variant packages; but that's just my humble opinion.
Instead, it could be submitted to specific channels, for instance
<https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-hpc> or any other listed in
Guix-HPC.

Cheers,
simon