Subject: Re: bug#46819: 28.0.50; Undesireable warning: Empty let body from the `benchmark-run' implementation

From: Matt Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 20:53:19 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It'd be easy to put an explicit nil in the loop's body, but....
>>
>> The idea was that in actual (non-macroexpanded) source code, empty let
>> bodies are usually the result of a misplaced paren.  But it's probably
>> more often annoying than useful since we can't easily distinguish a "let
>> from source code" from a "let from a macro expansion".
>>
>> So I'm also voting to revert that change.
>> Any objection?
>
> It is a nice and helpful warning, though, so if it could be fixed in
> another way, that'd be great.  (But I have no idea how, of course.)

So, after a little flurry of a conversation, this went quiet.

How about we fix benchmark's use of `let', and leave the warning in
place.  It does not seem to be generating many other complaints, so it
may not be particularly annoying after all.  I'm currently working with
`benchmark-run' a bunch and would like the warning gone from that one
use.

I can make a patch, but a one liner might be quicker for one of you to
just commit directly.  ;-)