Subject: bug#46813: 27.0.91; Form `(subdirs . nil)' in .dir-locals.el does not protect subdirectories

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:09:30 +0100

Sebastian Tennant <[email-masked]> writes:

> According to the sexp written to file tmp/.dir-locals.el in 4, variable
> `foo' should only be bound to `bar' in files under tmp/.  However, when
> file tmp/sub/baz is visited in 6, the local variables list includes the
> binding 'foo : bar', deemed to be risky.
>
> The relevant section of (info "(emacs) Directory Variables") reads:
>
>  "The special ‘subdirs’ element is not a variable, but a special keyword
>  which indicates that the [...] settings are only to be applied in the
>  current directory, not in any subdirectories."
>
> Bug, documentation bug or thinko?

There's been quite a few fixed in the .dir-locals.el code in the
development branch over the past few months.  Would it be possible for
you to check "master" and see whether the problem still exists there?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no