Subject: bug#46813: 27.0.91; Form `(subdirs . nil)' in .dir-locals.el does not protect subdirectories

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 14:42:40 +0100

Sebastian Tennant <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There's been quite a few fixed in the .dir-locals.el code in the
>> development branch over the past few months.  Would it be possible for
>> you to check "master" and see whether the problem still exists there?
>
> It's fixed on master.

Thanks for checking.

> Any tips on how to backport the fix to emacs-27?

There were a whole bunch of different bugs in the .dir-locals.el code.
The relevant commits are 8f0a2c84, 75f6b264 and possibly 117d58ace.

I think backporting the first two might be possible (they're tiny), but
I don't think this is actually a regression in Emacs 27 -- this stuff
didn't work in Emacs 26 either, if I remember correctly.  So I think
backporting to Emacs 27 would be out of scope, since we're only fixing
regressions (and really serious bugs) in Emacs 27 at this time.

But since the first two commits are really small and "obviously correct"
(ahem), perhaps it's a good idea to do so anyway.  I have no opinion
here, perhaps Eli has one?  (Added to the CCs.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no