Subject: Re: [bug#46806] [PATCH] gnu: ocaml-4.07: Bootstrap.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 14:27:54 +0100

Hi Julien,

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 00:13, Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The first patch builds the bootstraped ocamlc and ocamllex. This takes
> around 4 hours to build. The second patch rebuilds them using the source
> code for ocaml 4.07.1, instead of the modified sources used in
> camlboot, and reuse them to run the main Makefile (make world.opt).

On my machine, camlboot takes ~3h to build.  Then ocaml-4.07-boot takes
~30s.  Last there is no meaningful difference between building
ocaml-4.07 using the embedded ocamlc and ocamlex binaries and using the
binaries from ocaml-4.04-boot; both ~6m.

I have check that camlboot, ocaml-4.07-boot and ocaml-4.07 build
reproducibly with ’--check’.  They do.

> As a result, we have identical files for this bootstrap and the
> unbootstrapped OCaml (up to output store paths and hash of some files
> that get embedded in native files, which differ because of the
> different output path).

At first look, yes. :-)

Modulo the minor comments I made, patches LGTM!  Thanks.

Well, the next steps are to build ocaml-4.09 and ocaml-4.11 using the
previous ocamlc and ocamlex version, right?

Then, it implies rebuild all the OCaml packages, right?  It could be
done in this core-updates cycle, WDYT?

Cheers,
simon