Subject: bug#46803: User manual does not explain Profiles (nor GUIX_PROFILE)

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 00:30:18 +0100

Luis Felipe,

I think that would be very helpful.  I'm trying to think of a 
concise, correct, but actually useful definition of profiles for 
someone not already familiar with them or Guix.

Out of curiosity: how do you intuitively understand profiles, as 
someone who's used Guix for a while?

Luis Felipe via Bug reports for GNU Guix 写道：
> [...] what is the GUIX_PROFILE variable, does it accept a single
> path to a profile or more, and some use cases and 
> examples. [...]

I don't think we should document GUIX_PROFILE.  It's not part of 
the definition of Guix profiles.  It should not matter to users 
nor should they rely on previously observed behaviour.  AIUI there 
are no supported ‘use cases’, beyond copy-pasting Guix error 
messages...

> Similarly, the GUIX_PROFILE variable doesn't seem to be 
> defined. It seems missing from the concept and programming 
> indices.

...so this part isn't unexpected.

Kind regards,

T G-R