Subject: bug#4680: 23.1.50; minor url-http.el fix

From: Chris Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:57:06 -0600

Whoops. I don't know what I was thinking about url-display-percentage.
Ignore that. :)

I came across this because of twit.el. It can do http operations every
so often in the background. It binds (with let, so local bind, what
ever the terminology is) url-show-status to nil when doing an async
get. Since its async, it sets up a process buffer to do the get. But
in the context of the process buffer, the local binding of
url-show-status is long gone and the primary value takes over. By
default its t, which would make sense for the vast majority of cases.
So url-http displays progress on a background process when the user of
url-http does not what that to happen.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Chris Newton wrote:
>
>> Here is a small fix for the url-http function. When binding the
>> url-show-status and/or url-display-percentage variables they would not
>> get copied to the async buffer. So calls to url-lazy-message would not
>> do the correct thing. The patch just adds those two functions to the
>> list of variables to be copied. Thanks.
>
> I'm sorry, can you explain why this is necessary? Can you give an
> example of what the behaviour is with and without this change?
>
> On the face of it, this change makes no sense to me. url-show-status
> is a user option, and url-display-percentage is a function, not a
> variable.
>
>
> @@ -1142,6 +1144,8 @@
>                       url-http-chunked-start
>                       url-callback-function
>                       url-callback-arguments
> +                      url-show-status
> +                      url-display-percentage
>                       url-http-process
>                       url-http-method
>                       url-http-extra-headers
>