Subject: bug#46796: closed (Re: bug#46796: Cuirass & pointer finalization.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 11:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46796: Cuirass & pointer finalization.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46796: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46796
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46796: Cuirass & pointer finalization.
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:39:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm trying to fix a memory corruption in the remote-server process of
> Cuirass since a few days. Even though I don't have a usable core dump
> file yet, I'm pretty sure the error comes from the "zmq-msg-init"
> procedure of Guile-Simple-ZMQ.

I’m closing this old bug because it’s most likely been fixed with
Cuirass commit 40f70d28aed55c404cca6a0760860fb4942e6bee and this:

  https://github.com/jerry40/guile-simple-zmq/commit/d25d1865e3378d93c44e2b4f5246a70b078a489d

Ludo’.

Subject: Cuirass & pointer finalization.
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 15:14:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I'm trying to fix a memory corruption in the remote-server process of
Cuirass since a few days. Even though I don't have a usable core dump
file yet, I'm pretty sure the error comes from the "zmq-msg-init"
procedure of Guile-Simple-ZMQ.

This procedure creates a bytevector, call the C function zmq_msg_init to
initialize it, adds zmq_msg_close as pointer finalizer and returns a
wrapped pointer.

My understanding is that the wrapped pointer that is passed around in
Cuirass ensures that the underlying bytevector is not garbage collected
until the pointer goes out of scope. However, some assertions failures
such as this one:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Assertion failed: check () (src/msg.cpp:394)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

let me think that the bytevector is garbage collected, while ZMQ is
still using it. Some help would be much appreciated here :).

Thanks,

Mathieu