Subject: bug#46790: 28.0.50; make install with native-comp branch

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:33:17 +0300

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:47:17 +0000
> 
> > Wait a minute: you are saying that starting "emacs" with your
> > installation works well, and the problem happens only when you use the
> > dired-async-mode?
> 
> Yes.

But below you say:

> > or are they shown when you start your interactive Emacs session?
> 
> The interactive session.

So now I'm completely confused.  I don't think I understand whether
Emacs fails to start interactively, or it starts and then
dired-async-mode fails because invoking an inferior Emacs in batch
mode fails (or crashes, see below).

> However if it may help, it seems the process buffer is created, and then
> the process (emacs) never start, here the contents of the "*emacs*"
> buffer (emacs started with "./emacs" from /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50 directory):
> 
> Lisp expression: Backtrace:
> /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x17a324)[0x55e34b4cc324]
> /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x46299)[0x55e34b398299]
> /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x469fa)[0x55e34b3989fa]
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x12980)[0x7ff2a34b1980]

This is a backtrace from an abort or crash.  Even more weird.

I installed some change that might fix the problem.  If not, I'm
afraid someone else who is smarter than I am will have to investigate
this.  Thank you for your time and help.