Subject: Re: bug#46790: 28.0.50; make install with native-comp branch

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:47:17 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:21:56 +0000
>> 
>> As I said before I found this bug when using dired-async-mode from
>> emacs-async package. When trying to copy a file nothing happened, no
>> child emacs process was made. As soon I symlinked the native-lisp/
>> directory in /usr/local/sbin dired-async started working, now it is no
>> more working symlink or not, I guess emacs --batch is not finding the
>> necessary libraries to start, but now unsure.
>
> Wait a minute: you are saying that starting "emacs" with your
> installation works well, and the problem happens only when you use the
> dired-async-mode?

Yes.

> If so, it's a different problem from what I thought, sorry for not
> realizing this earlier.
>
> I think we need to see how "emacs --batch" is invoked in your
> scenario, in order for us to understand the problem you have.  can you
> show the complete Emacs batch command that fails like that?

You will find the code in async-start function in async.el
https://github.com/jwiegley/emacs-async/blob/master/async.el#L296

>> >> thierry <at> IPadS340:/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50$ ./emacs-28.0.50
>> >> emacs: /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/../native-lisp/28.0.50-40158ec0/window-0d1b8b93-738411b0.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> >> thierry <at> IPadS340:/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50$ ./emacs
>> >> emacs: /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/../native-lisp/28.0.50-40158ec0/window-0d1b8b93-738411b0.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> 
>> Yes I sent this because I thought it was a straight forward way to show
>> the problem, however the strange thing was emacs was starting with no
>> apparent errors from its symlink in /usr/local/bin/
>
> Are these messages emitted by the "emacs --batch" invocation done by
> dired-async-mode,

No, unfortunately it is really hard to get error messages from async.el.
These message came from calling ./emacs or ./emacs-28.0.50 from
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/.
However if it may help, it seems the process buffer is created, and then
the process (emacs) never start, here the contents of the "*emacs*"
buffer (emacs started with "./emacs" from /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50 directory):

Lisp expression: Backtrace:
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x17a324)[0x55e34b4cc324]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x46299)[0x55e34b398299]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x469fa)[0x55e34b3989fa]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x12980)[0x7ff2a34b1980]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f66f8)[0x55e34b5486f8]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f592d)[0x55e34b54792d]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f62ad)[0x55e34b5482ad]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4f2d)[0x55e34b546f2d]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f2a93)[0x55e34b544a93]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4b6e)[0x55e34b546b6e]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4a98)[0x55e34b546a98]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4a98)[0x55e34b546a98]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f605d)[0x55e34b54805d]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f50ed)[0x55e34b5470ed]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f0cc1)[0x55e34b542cc1]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4dab)[0x55e34b546dab]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4b6e)[0x55e34b546b6e]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f6769)[0x55e34b548769]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f543d)[0x55e34b54743d]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f605d)[0x55e34b54805d]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4caf)[0x55e34b546caf]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f50ed)[0x55e34b5470ed]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f0cc1)[0x55e34b542cc1]
/usr/local/libexec/emacs/28.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../../../bin/../lib/emacs/28.0.50/native-lisp/28.0.50-f294808a/preloaded/startup-bbc6ea72-3a1d4504.eln(F636f6d6d616e642d6c696e652d31_command_line_1_0+0xad3)[0x7ff2918cf923]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f0e73)[0x55e34b542e73]
/usr/local/libexec/emacs/28.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../../../bin/../lib/emacs/28.0.50/native-lisp/28.0.50-f294808a/preloaded/startup-bbc6ea72-3a1d4504.eln(F636f6d6d616e642d6c696e65_command_line_0+0x17a2)[0x7ff2918c8512]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f0e73)[0x55e34b542e73]
/usr/local/libexec/emacs/28.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../../../bin/../lib/emacs/28.0.50/native-lisp/28.0.50-f294808a/preloaded/startup-bbc6ea72-3a1d4504.eln(F6e6f726d616c2d746f702d6c6576656c_normal_top_level_0+0xfca)[0x7ff2918c4fca]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f4ce8)[0x55e34b546ce8]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f6969)[0x55e34b548969]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1efd57)[0x55e34b541d57]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x15a846)[0x55e34b4ac846]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x1f2a93)[0x55e34b544a93]
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50(+0x159d08)[0x55e34b4abd08]
...

> or are they shown when you start your interactive Emacs session?

The interactive session.

-- 
Thierry