Subject: Re: bug#46790: 28.0.50; make install with native-comp branch

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 15:40:07 +0300

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:21:56 +0000
> 
> As I said before I found this bug when using dired-async-mode from
> emacs-async package. When trying to copy a file nothing happened, no
> child emacs process was made. As soon I symlinked the native-lisp/
> directory in /usr/local/sbin dired-async started working, now it is no
> more working symlink or not, I guess emacs --batch is not finding the
> necessary libraries to start, but now unsure.

Wait a minute: you are saying that starting "emacs" with your
installation works well, and the problem happens only when you use the
dired-async-mode?  If so, it's a different problem from what I
thought, sorry for not realizing this earlier.

I think we need to see how "emacs --batch" is invoked in your
scenario, in order for us to understand the problem you have.  can you
show the complete Emacs batch command that fails like that?

> >> thierry <at> IPadS340:/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50$ ./emacs-28.0.50
> >> emacs: /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/../native-lisp/28.0.50-40158ec0/window-0d1b8b93-738411b0.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >> thierry <at> IPadS340:/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50$ ./emacs
> >> emacs: /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/../native-lisp/28.0.50-40158ec0/window-0d1b8b93-738411b0.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> 
> Yes I sent this because I thought it was a straight forward way to show
> the problem, however the strange thing was emacs was starting with no
> apparent errors from its symlink in /usr/local/bin/

Are these messages emitted by the "emacs --batch" invocation done by
dired-async-mode, or are they shown when you start your interactive
Emacs session?