Subject: Re: bug#46790: 28.0.50; make install with native-comp branch

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 11:11:05 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 06:48:24 +0000
>> 
>> > I think only as long as $(libdir) and $(libexecdir) keep their
>> > relative locations.
>> >
>> > We don't really support separate unsynchronized locations for the
>> > various *dir variables used to install Emacs.
>> 
>> Don't know what you are speaking about, the problem is with
>> 
>> make install bindir=foo
>> 
>> which IS documented in INSTALL.
>
> So please describe the details of the deployment in your case:
>
>   . where is the _real_ Emacs executable?

/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/

This directory is not a symlink, it contains emacs-28.0.50 executable
and its symlink emacs.

/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/ctags
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/ebrowse
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs -> emacs-28.0.50
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacsclient
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/etags

>   
>   . where is the symlink to it?

/usr/local/bin/

The symlink is from /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50, not
from /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs which is itself a symlink of
/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/emacs-28.0.50 (see above).

>   . are you invoking the symlink explicitly or via PATH?

Via PATH, i.e. with emacs.

>   . where is the .pdmp file?

Didn't find such file.

>   . where is the installed native-lisp/ directory?

/usr/local/lib/emacs/28.0.50/

Not a symlink.

> (When I say "where" above, I mean what is the exact absolute file name
> of that file or directory.  Also whether it's a symlink or not, and in
> the former case where does the symlink point.)
>
> Thanks.

-- 
Thierry