Subject: Re: bug#46790: 28.0.50; [native-comp] Emacs doesn't start when run from a symlink

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 09:50:55 +0000

Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've compiled the feature/native-comp branch and it starts if I run
> the real path to the executable; but if I run it from a symlink it
> fails:
>
> $ ls -l /home/phil/bin/emacs-native-comp
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 phil phil 48 Apr 14 00:01 /home/phil/bin/emacs-native-comp -> /home/phil/emacs/native-comp/usr/local/bin/emacs
>
> $ emacs-native-comp -Q
> emacs: /home/phil/bin/../native-lisp/28.0.50-abd7aa58/preloaded/window-0d1b8b93-513ac8ca.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
>
> Looking relative to the symlink itself is clearly wrong.  Something
> like `file-truename' should surely be utilised here.  (GNU readlink
> with the -m option does much the same thing, if that's at all helpful.)
>
> I'm sending to what looks like a duplicate bug, although my case seems
> like a more standard configuration -- I'm not passing a custom 'bindir'
> to 'make install'; I'm simply using the normal 'configure --prefix=...'
> (see below).

Hi Phil,

thanks for reporting, yeah this was reported already in #44128, I'll try
to see how we can solve it.

Thanks

  Andrea