Subject: bug#46790: 28.0.50; make install with native-comp branch

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 10:37:30 +0300

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 07:17:09 +0200
> 
> > What worked for you with previous versions was just a side effect of
> > the implementation detail: how Emacs finds the files it needs when it
> > starts.  The *.eln files bring more restrictions to the table, and it
> > could very well be that the symlink trick will be the only practical
> > solution to such a non-standard installation.
> 
> This not really a non standard installation, it is documented in INSTALL
> since always

Documented where?  INSTALL explains the meaning of each Makefile
variable, but it never says that any arbitrary combination of their
values will work.

> I am not sure also if everything is working properly with a "standard"
> installation, i.e. in /usr/local/bin, is in this case the native-lisp
> dir found?

When you configure Emacs, the place is recorded in epaths.h, exactly
like the directory for Lisp files is.

> > A possible solution is to set EMACSNATIVELOADPATH in the environment.
> 
> Didn't know this env var.
> 
> > Alternatively, you could modify your Emacs to look in the correct
> > directory by default.
> 
> Don't know how to do this, anyway all methods should be documented.

The documentation is not yet complete.

In any case, I don't think this issue should block the merge of the
branch.