Subject: bug#46790: 28.0.50; make install with native-comp branch

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 06:57:26 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 08:35:30 +0100
>>
>> giving a try to native-comp branch.
>>
>> I install Emacs generaly with:
>>
>> make install bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50 infodir=/usr/local/share/info-28.0.50
>>
>> This always worked fine.  However with native-comp branch, I have to
>> manually add a symlink of "/usr/local/lib/emacs/28.0.50/native-lisp/" to
>> "/usr/local/sbin" otherwise I endup with an error:
>>
>> thierry@IPadS340:/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50$ ls
>> ctags  ebrowse  emacs  emacs-28.0.50  emacsclient  etags
>> thierry@IPadS340:/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50$ ./emacs-28.0.50
>> emacs: /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/../native-lisp/28.0.50-40158ec0/window-0d1b8b93-738411b0.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> thierry@IPadS340:/usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50$ ./emacs
>> emacs: /usr/local/sbin/emacs-28.0.50/../native-lisp/28.0.50-40158ec0/window-0d1b8b93-738411b0.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure we can resolve this in any other way, although we
> should try.  What worked for you with previous versions was just a
> side effect of the implementation detail: how Emacs finds the files it
> needs when it starts.  The *.eln files bring more restrictions to the
> table, and it could very well be that the symlink trick will be the
> only practical solution to such a non-standard installation.
>
> A possible solution is to set EMACSNATIVELOADPATH in the environment.

As the error is while resurrecting from dump I think acting on the load
path will not help as in this phase we relocate elns simply by filename.

Thierry, are you specifying your custom bindir only when installing or
also while building?  If the case is the first could you please try
again setting bindir also while building?

Sorry for not responding earlier, I've been in round robin on the issues
I had the feeling were higher priority but was still in my todo list :)

Regards

  Andrea