Subject: bug#46780: java-snappy: Test failure on ci.guix.gnu.org

From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 14:58:47 +0100

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 23:08:42 +0100
zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 21:52, Björn Höfling
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Then increase the memory used by junit: Edit the build.xml file,
> > add a huge "maxmemory" property like this :
> >
> > <junit maxmemory="30G" printsummary="true" ...  
> 
> [...]
> 
> > If you look at the test case source code, it tries to allocate about
> > 20GB and hopes that this fails. It just does not fail on huge
> > machines...  
> 
> What about adding a phase just before the test?  For example in this
> build.xml file fix the max memory to 20G if it is greater.

The build.xml is auto-generated by our ant-build-system. So we could
add some parameter into it. But I found this too much of an overkill,
and working on the ant-build-system would mean this goes into staging
(we have too many Java package).

Thus, at first I thought the idea with the additional phase wouldn't
fit here. But at the second glimpse: The build.xml file definitely
already exists before running the tests (even before build). So we
could add a phase that substitutestars and adds the maxmemory parameter
in the build.xml.

Björn