Subject: bug#4675: 23.1.50; dired broken

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:47:32 -0400

henry atting wrote:

> `M-x dired' results in this error message:
>
> Autoloading failed to define function epa-dired-mode-hook
>
> Emacs started with emacs -Q --> dired works fine.

If `emacs -Q' works fine, then you should try and do more
investigation before reporting a bug.

Again, a quick web search suggests you have a file "epa-setup.el"
somewere in your configuration. This was removed from Emacs
2008-02-11.

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Autoloading failed to define 
> function epa-dired-mode-hook")
>   epa-dired-mode-hook()
>   run-hooks(dired-mode-hook)
[...]
> Load-path shadows:

You have a large number of load-path shadows, which indicates a
complex configuration. Please try to make sure problems are not due
this before reporting them as Emacs bugs.