Subject: Re: bug#46737: Services breakage from the PostgreSQL socket-directory configuration change

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 21:47:45 +0100

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> One workaround, the one employed in the tests is to revert to the old
>>> behaviour for the PostgreSQL service by setting socket-directory to #f.
>>
>> You're right, sorry about the breakage. As you noticed we are in an
>> in-between situation where the patch updating Postgresql package to use
>> "/var/run/postgresql" by default is only on core-updates, but the
>> service is already using it as a default on master.
>>
>> This means that "createdb", "dropdb" and other Postgresql user tools
>> need to have an explicit "-h /var/run/postgresql" argument for now.
>>
>> Until the package patch gets merged in the master branch, we could set
>> the "socket-directory" field of <postgresql-config-file> record to #f to
>> restore an acceptable default behaviour.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I think that would be good. It's unfortunate that the package change is
> stuck on core-updates for now, but configuring the service on master to
> keep the old behaviour until core-updates is merged sounds sensible.

I don't know if the expectation was that I was going to fix this, but
since it seems there's a release coming up, I went ahead and prepared a
patch [1].

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47736