Subject: Re: bug#4673: Not the same as 4674

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:18:12 +0200

> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:51:27 +0000
> From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
> 
> This is a separate bug from 4673 (which I believe is fixed). Can they
> be un-merged?

Done.

> Visiting a Windows DFS share when ".." is not accessible still crashes
> in `ls-lisp-insert-directory' in the trunk of Emacs, as the attribute
> list for ".." in the `file-alist' returned for by
> `directory-files-and-attributes' is empty.

What does the following yield for a DFS share?

  M-: (file-attributes "//root/share/.." 'string) RET

For that matter, what does the following cmd command display?

  dir /n/q/a:d \\root\share

> Meanwhile, back in `ls-lisp-insert-directory', (format "%d" fuid)
> fails with (error "Format specifier doesn't match argument type").

I will work on making ls-lisp-insert-directory be more tolerant of
such use cases, but it is important for me to understand whether or
not there is really a ".." entry on such shares, as this will
determine if we want to display them in some way or simply omit them
from the directory listing in Dired.  The above questions will help me
make up my mind about that.

TIA