Subject: [bug#46728] [PATCH 0/7] gnu: aws-sdk-cpp: Update to 1.8.148.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 20:37:56 +0100

Hi,

Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The AWS packages (aws-sdk-cpp and dependencies) are currently built as
> static libraries. I would like to build both static and shared but could
> not find an example or simple method for building both using cmake. Do you
> think it would be worthwhile to extend the cmake-build-system to optionally
> configure, build, and install static libraries with additional phases? The
> gnu-build-system makes it easy to inline a new phase into the package
> definition (when the makefile has both 'make' and 'make static' targets)
> but with CMake we are forced to duplicate the configure phase, which is 44
> lines of code.

In general, it’s best to build only shared libraries.  That allows for
reduced memory usage, fast security updates via grafts, etc.  So if you
could make the AWS packages build as shared libraries only, that’d be
great.

It’s OK to optionally add static libraries, preferably in a separate
output or even a separate package, but that’s not what should be used by
default.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ludo’.