Subject: [bug#46728] [PATCH 4/7] gnu: Add s2n.

From: Greg Hogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:19:31 -0500

Hi Leo,

The CMake configuration [1] has both shared and static dependencies on
LibCrypto.

The AWS packages (aws-sdk-cpp and dependencies) are currently built as
static libraries. I would like to build both static and shared but could
not find an example or simple method for building both using cmake. Do you
think it would be worthwhile to extend the cmake-build-system to optionally
configure, build, and install static libraries with additional phases? The
gnu-build-system makes it easy to inline a new phase into the package
definition (when the makefile has both 'make' and 'make static' targets)
but with CMake we are forced to duplicate the configure phase, which is 44
lines of code.

Greg

[1]
https://github.com/aws/s2n-tls/blob/main/cmake/modules/FindLibCrypto.cmake

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 4:34 PM Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 06:17:06PM -0500, Greg Hogan wrote:
> > From 78e69597f63b22a3249853208e88f8f57cf84054 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> > From: Greg Hogan <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:52:01 +0000
> > Subject: [PATCH 4/7] gnu: Add s2n.
> >
> > * gnu/packages/tls.scm (s2n): New variable.
>
> Thank you for this patch series!
>
> > +    (propagated-inputs
> > +     `(("openssl" ,openssl)
> > +       ("openssl:static" ,openssl "static")))
>
> I'm wondering specifically about the use of static OpenSSL in these
> patches. It's a little unusual to use statically-linked outputs in Guix.
> Is it required for s2n?
>