Subject: Re: bug#46724: [PATCH] gnu: vtk: Update to 9.0.1

From: Andy Tai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 23:42:58 -0700

currently, mia build is actually broken with vtk 8.2.0, the version in
guix repo; If I do

guix install mia

that actually fail in build:

[ 13%] Building CXX object
mia/core/fastica/CMakeFiles/test-fastica-deflation-deflationnonlinearity.dir/test_deflationnonlinearity.cc.o
cd /tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/build/mia/core/fastica &&
/gnu/store/rn75fm7adgx3pw5j8pg3bczfqq1y17lk-gcc-7.5.0/bin/c++
-DBOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB -DBOOST_FILESYSTEM_DYN_LINK
-DBOOST_FILESYSTEM_VERSION=3 -DBOOST_SYSTEM_DYN_LINK
-DBOOST_UNIT_TEST_FRAMEWORK_DYN_LINK -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I/gnu/store/n50ikpnyzdda0zklwnmqasklcrif2csg-eigen-3.3.8/include/eigen3
-I/gnu/store/c8w9z48vvx2a3q3k44ch9yn00wk1qwhb-libxml2-2.9.10/include/libxml2
-I/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/build
-I/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/mia-2.4.6  -fpermissive
-fvisibility=hidden -O2 -g -DNDEBUG   -DBOOST_TEST_DYN_LINK -o
CMakeFiles/test-fastica-deflation-deflationnonlinearity.dir/test_deflationnonlinearity.cc.o
-c /tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/mia-2.4.6/mia/core/fastica/test_deflationnonlinearity.cc
/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/mia-2.4.6/addons/vtk/vtkmesh.cc: In
function ‘void vtkmia::read_normals(mia::CTriangleMesh&,
vtkPointData&)’:
/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/mia-2.4.6/addons/vtk/vtkmesh.cc:179:12:
error: ‘class vtkFloatArray’ has no member named ‘GetTupleValue’; did
you mean ‘GetValue’?
   normals->GetTupleValue(i, &is->x);
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
            GetValue
/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/mia-2.4.6/addons/vtk/vtkmesh.cc: In
function ‘void vtkmia::read_colors(mia::CTriangleMesh&,
vtkPointData&)’:
/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/mia-2.4.6/addons/vtk/vtkmesh.cc:211:11:
error: ‘class vtkFloatArray’ has no member named ‘GetTupleValue’; did
you mean ‘GetValue’?
   colors->GetTupleValue(i, &is->x);
           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
           GetValue
make[2]: *** [addons/vtk/CMakeFiles/mesh-io-vtkmesh-common.dir/build.make:66:
addons/vtk/CMakeFiles/mesh-io-vtkmesh-common.dir/vtkmesh.cc.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/build'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:23838:
addons/vtk/CMakeFiles/mesh-io-vtkmesh-common.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-mia-2.4.6.drv-0/build'

So this makes a separate bug...

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:43 AM Andy Tai <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Ok, I'll take a look.
>
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 1:54 AM Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > Thanks for the update!  I spent some time checking whether dependents,
> > as returned by ‘guix refresh -l vtk’, would still build.
> >
> > It turns out tha ‘mia’ no longer builds after this update because the
> > ‘VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS’ CMake variable remains empty.  I’m not
> > familiar (or averse to?) CMake, and I couldn’t figure out why that is
> > the case.
> >
> > Could you take a look?
> >
> > As a last resort, we could preserve VTK 8.2 and use it in MIA.
> >
> > Attached is my variant of the patch, which propagates libogg, as was
> > needed for some dependents, but really we could/should propagate
> > libtheora, lz4, and double-conversion for the same reasons it seems.
> >
> > Let me know what you think!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ludo’.
> >
>
>
> --
> Andy Tai, [email-masked], Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat: andytai1010
> Year 2021 民國110年
> 自動的精神力是信仰與覺悟
> 自動的行為力是勞動與技能

-- 
Andy Tai, [email-masked], Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat: andytai1010
Year 2021 民國110年
自動的精神力是信仰與覺悟
自動的行為力是勞動與技能