Subject: bug#46674: 28.0.50; Tramp ignores tramp-completion-use-auth-sources

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 15:03:58 +0100

Ergus via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> The function: tramp-read-passwd calls auth-source-search
> unconditionally, and ignores tramp-completion-use-auth-sources.

tramp-completion-use-auth-sources suppresses auth-source based
completion only for completing user and host names in the minibuffer.

If you want to suppress the use of auth-source also for passwords, Tramp
2.5 describes the following in its manual:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   In case you do not want to use an authentication file for TRAMP
passwords, use connection-local variables (*note (emacs)Connection
Variables::) like this:

     (connection-local-set-profile-variables
      'remote-without-auth-sources '((auth-sources . nil)))

     (connection-local-set-profiles
      '(:application tramp) 'remote-without-auth-sources)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Michael.