Subject: Re: bug#46670: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] possible miscompilation affecting lsp-mode

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:14:52 +0000

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 2:58 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Please understand and keep in mind that the native-comp branch is
> still WIP, and as such, it is not yet up to speed with all the
> documentation and other necessary support info.

Thank you for that reminder.

You're absolutely correct, of course.

Andrea, I'm sorry I haven't made it clear that my standard is "is this
something that should be merged", not "is this very good code". It is
the latter, as I've said before, and I think the native-comp branch is
extremely interesting and should be merged VERY soon.

> Andrea's work is
> still mainly devoted to fixing issues reported against the native-comp
> code.  Polishing the documentation will come later.  So please don't
> expect the documentation to be anywhere near perfect, as we all are
> used to expect from mainline Emacs code, and please don't blame Andrea
> for not providing such quality of documentation at this point in time.

Again, you're absolutely correct. In the specific cases I mentioned,
my main concern is that other hackers will find it too frustrating to
encounter subtle restrictions that sometimes, incorrectly, feel like
pitfalls and look like bugs.

Thanks again,
Pip