Subject: bug#46670: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] possible miscompilation affecting lsp-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 12:24:11 +0200

> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 09:39:50 +0000
> Cc: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > > How, assuming for the moment that the "strange" in (1) actually means
> > > "buggy", are we supposed to fix this?
> >
> > I don't see any evidence yet that this needs to be fixed.  Without
> > such evidence, the whole discussion is about a moot point.
> 
> Quite the reverse: if we make rules saying such bug reports are to be
> ignored, as Andrea suggested, actually reporting the bug is moot. It's
> the rules I objected to in the previous mail, not the legitimate
> requirement for further elaboration on my part before anyone else is
> convinced there's a bug.

Reports are never ignored, because someone needs to read them before
deciding whether they need any action.  But that's beside the point.

My point is that if those "assume" forms never generate any real code
in the produced .eln file, then why worry about them?  They are like
comments: if you don't like comments, just ignore them; they don't
actually affect any executable code.

> All of this was sufficient for me to write Andrea asking whether there
> was an issue (leaving out what I thought would be, to him, the tedious
> trivialities of the lines above), or whether I was confused. I could
> certainly have handled the ensuing exchange better, and I'll try to do
> so in the future. However, the categorical instalment of new rules
> disallowing the presentation of patches or bug reports for all bugs
> outside a very narrow class would prevent that entirely.

There are no rules that disallow presentation of patches.  But anyone
who presents patches must understand that people who review those
patches could decide the issue the patches try to fix is not worth
fixing, or isn't a problem in the first place.  If you want to avoid
such decisions, _then_ you need to satisfy those rules.  IOW, they
aren't rules for submitting stuff, they are rules for considering the
submitted stuff as significant and for attracting the attention of the
individuals responsible for the respective code.