Subject: bug#46650: Extending package transformation options

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 12:11:52 +0100

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 at 14:57, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Guix as returned by ‘guix pull’ and ‘guix time-machine’ depends on
>> GnuTLS.  So here, we have a special case: to build Guix itself, you need
>> to build GnuTLS first, and there’s no way to pass ‘--without-tests’ at
>> that level.
>>
>> I’m not sure how to change that because unfortunately, ‘guix pull’ and
>> ‘time-machine’ don’t even know that Guix depends on GnuTLS; only the
>> target Guix knows about this.  :-/
>
> If  «“guix pull” and ’time-machine’ don’t even know that Guix depends on
> GnuTLS» and «to build Guix itself, you need to build GnuTLS first», how
> does it work?  How does «you» know that they needs to build GnuTLS
> first?

‘guix pull’ builds Guix using the method implemented in (guix self).
The entry point there is ‘compiled-guix’, which returns a compiled Guix.

It’s not a package so the package API doesn’t apply.

HTH,
Ludo’.