Subject: Re: bug#46641: process-tests assume network connection

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:41:11 +0100

Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:

>     Glenn> Some process-tests fail if the system has no network connection.
>     Glenn> I don't know what the appropriate skip-unless condition to test for
>     Glenn> network access is.
>
>     Glenn> Ref: https://bugs.debian.org/982969
>
> So Debian deliberately cripple their test environment, run the network
> tests for an editor which can do network access, and we have to adapt
> our tests? I am not amused.
>
> I guess we could wrap them all in
>
> (skip-unless (dns-query "google.com"))

It'd be nice if Emacs did have a predicate for "is there any network
here?"  But I don't know what that would look like.  That is, there's a
difference between having a local network (i.e., 127.0.0.1), and being
on the Internet.  

But if any of our tests require Emacs to be on a functioning internet
connection, they should indeed be guarded by something like the
`skip-unless' you propose.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no