Subject: Re: bug#4664: 23.1.50; local variables completions

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:52:36 -0400

>> I've excluded minor modes from completion intentionally because the manual
>> says in (info "(emacs) Specifying File Variables"):

I'm not sure it's a good idea to remove them from completions.

>> You can use the `mode' "variable" to set minor modes as well as the
>> major modes; in fact, you can use it more than once, first to set the
>> major mode and then to set minor modes which are specific to particular
>> buffers.  But most minor modes should not be specified in the file at
>> all, because they represent user preferences.

> I wonder if this is a bit silly.

Which part is silly?  The above text simply describes things as they
stand, without forcing any particular choice.

> Whether it is user preferences should be left for the users who are
> editing that file to decide.

Which it is.  We simply added the note about minor modes (which is
actually not specific to minor modes, it also holds for many plain
variables), because it has been found to be a common misuse.

> For example, if Will Smith and I are editing the same file and I want
> to enable outline-minor-mode in the local variables, I will consult
> him before enabling it.

That's fine.  A very common situation is a file that you're the sole
author, so you put any random personal setting in there without having
to worry about asking Will.  And then you publish it on the web (e.g. it
could be an Elisp package), so anybody who opens it in Emacs gets your
preferences imposed on himself while viewing your file.

> Leo's Emacs uptime: 17 minutes, 0 seconds

17 minutes and counting... how's that for impressive?!

        Stefan