Subject: Re: bug#4664: 23.1.50; local variables completions

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:17:27 +0100

On 2009-10-12 21:31 +0100, Juri Linkov wrote:
[...]
>> The completion of 'mode' does not include modes like outline-minor-mode.
>> Is this an oversight?
>
> I've excluded minor modes from completion intentionally because the manual
> says in (info "(emacs) Specifying File Variables"):
>
>      You can use the `mode' "variable" to set minor modes as well as the
>   major modes; in fact, you can use it more than once, first to set the
>   major mode and then to set minor modes which are specific to particular
>   buffers.  But most minor modes should not be specified in the file at
>   all, because they represent user preferences.

I wonder if this is a bit silly. Whether it is user preferences should
be left for the users who are editing that file to decide. For example,
if Will Smith and I are editing the same file and I want to enable
outline-minor-mode in the local variables, I will consult him before
enabling it.

> I'm not sure about a list of minor modes that represent user preferences.
> Where can I see a complete list of their names?  Since this is too vague,
> perhaps we should include minor modes to the completion of 'mode'.

-- 
Leo's Emacs uptime: 17 minutes, 0 seconds