Subject: bug#4664: 23.1.50; local variables completions

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:31:38 +0300

>>>> This is a wrong fix.  It again removes valid local variables like
>>>> `generated-autoload-file' from completion.  The right fix would be
>>>> just to avoid trying to provide their current value as the default
>>>> value:
>>>
>>> Agreed.  Actually even if a symbol is not known to be safe and not
>>> completable, it should be possible for the user to use it, since it may
>>> simply not be loaded yet.
>>
>> Yes, this is already the case: the user is free to enter any variable.
>> It is only completion with require-match=nil that provides a list
>> of known variable names.
>
> The completion of 'mode' does not include modes like outline-minor-mode.
> Is this an oversight?

I've excluded minor modes from completion intentionally because the manual
says in (info "(emacs) Specifying File Variables"):

     You can use the `mode' "variable" to set minor modes as well as the
  major modes; in fact, you can use it more than once, first to set the
  major mode and then to set minor modes which are specific to particular
  buffers.  But most minor modes should not be specified in the file at
  all, because they represent user preferences.

I'm not sure about a list of minor modes that represent user preferences.
Where can I see a complete list of their names?  Since this is too vague,
perhaps we should include minor modes to the completion of 'mode'.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/