Subject: Re: 23.0.60; windmove.el doesnt not always switch windows in ERC

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 11:47:25 +0200

> Hey,
 > I ran edebug-eval-expression on (windmove-left) and got
 > call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: edebug-outside-windows
 >
 > Hope this helps

Not really.  Please try the following.  In a one-window frame do

C-x 2 C-x o C-x 3

that is your frame should appear as follows:

  -----
|     |
|-----|
|  |  |
  -----

In the lower right window display the ERC buffer, in the lower left
window the buffer you want to move to.  Next display window-move.el in
the top window, move point to the definition of
`windmove-find-other-window' and type C-u C-M-x to "instrument that
function for debugging".

Finally, go to the ERC window, and call `window-left'.  edebug should
now redirect focus to the upper window and you can type SPACE to step
through `windmove-find-other-window'.  If possible, do the same for a
non-ERC buffer in the lower right window too to tell where executions
differ.

Thanks, martin