Subject: bug#46578: closed (Re: bug#46578: 28.0.50; configure.ac warnings with autoconf 2.71)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 05:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46578: 28.0.50; configure.ac warnings with autoconf 2.71

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46578: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46578
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46578: 28.0.50; configure.ac warnings with autoconf 2.71
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 00:31:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 28.1

Thanks; fixed in 45e964755b..26fcd82890.

Subject: 28.0.50; configure.ac warnings with autoconf 2.71
From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:52:13 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
Repository revision: cead0ea38e3e15a544f7374b2e831623bda37f1d
Repository branch: master

Building from a clean tree, I observe the following warnings:

$ ./autogen.sh
Checking whether you have the necessary tools...
(Read INSTALL.REPO for more details on building Emacs)
Checking for autoconf (need at least version 2.65) ... ok
Your system has the required tools.
Building aclocal.m4 ...
Running 'autoreconf -fi -I m4' ...
configure.ac:1770: warning: Checking for headers with the preprocessor is
configure.ac:1770: deprecated. Specify prerequisite code to AC_CHECK_HEADER
configure.ac:1770: instead of using fourth argument `-'. (Many headers need
configure.ac:1770: no prerequisites. If you truly need to test whether
configure.ac:1770: something passes the preprocessor but not the compiler,
configure.ac:1770: use AC_PREPROC_IFELSE.)
../autoconf-2.71/lib/autoconf/headers.m4:115: _AC_CHECK_HEADER_PREPROC 
is expanded from...
../autoconf-2.71/lib/autoconf/headers.m4:56: AC_CHECK_HEADER is expanded 
from...
../autoconf-2.71/lib/autoconf/headers.m4:217: AC_CHECK_HEADERS is 
expanded from...
configure.ac:1770: the top level
configure.ac:1771: warning: The macro `AC_HEADER_TIME' is obsolete.
configure.ac:1771: You should run autoupdate.
../autoconf-2.71/lib/autoconf/headers.m4:743: AC_HEADER_TIME is expanded 
from...
configure.ac:1771: the top level
configure.ac:4719: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_LINK' is obsolete.
configure.ac:4719: You should run autoupdate.
../autoconf-2.71/lib/autoconf/general.m4:2920: AC_TRY_LINK is expanded 
from...
configure.ac:4719: the top level
You can now run './configure'.

Perhaps some adjustment is needed for autoconf 2.71.

     AndyM