Subject: Re: bug#46574: cperl-mode: Improve detection of entries for imenu [PATCH]

From: [email-masked] (Harald Jörg)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 00:48:08 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] (Harald Jörg) writes:
>
>> This patch helps CPerl mode to detect various declarations which should
>> go into the imenu index but were missed, and also prevents some false
>> positives from being included.  Undetected package declarations also led
>> to wrong namespace attributions for subroutines declared within those
>> packages.
>
> I've only skimmed the patch, but it makes sense to me.  When applying
> it, though, patch said:
>
> patching file lisp/progmodes/cperl-mode.el
> Hunk #2 succeeded at 1210 (offset -41 lines).
> Hunk #3 succeeded at 1367 (offset -41 lines).
> Hunk #4 succeeded at 5286 (offset -41 lines).
> Hunk #5 succeeded at 5368 (offset -41 lines).
> Hunk #6 succeeded at 5403 (offset -41 lines).
> Hunk #7 succeeded at 6734 (offset -41 lines).
>
> Which is odd.  Could you check whether the patch is against the current
> Emacs trunk?

Ouch.  I thought that my branch was up to date, but apparently Stefan
Kangas has been active with CPerl mode while I was testing.

I've reviewed Stefan's changes now.  There is definitely no conflict and
the patch can be applied regardless of the offset.  The offset mainly
came with 24a98755 (Feb 13), where Stefan eliminated a length of
obsolete documentation.

BTW: Stefan's cleanup work is great here.  I've always wanted to start
working on this but I am not confident enough.  I don't know enough
about the histories of (X)Emacs and CPerl-mode.

-- 
Thanks for checking,
haj