Subject: bug#46573: closed (Re: bug#46573: 28.0.50; Error when edebugging setting unbound place)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 17:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46573: 28.0.50; Error when edebugging setting unbound place

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46573: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46573
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46573: 28.0.50; Error when edebugging setting unbound place
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 12:39:51 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> I'm okay with installing this on the emacs-27 branch, but please wait
> for a day to let others comment.

Pushed,

        Stefan

Subject: 28.0.50; Error when edebugging setting unbound place
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:32:58 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

when edebugging something like

  (setf PLACE VALUE)

Edebug stops after PLACE and displays its "binding".  While that would
make some sense for e.g. `cl-callf', in the above situation the behavior
is confusing because when the code is run the binding of PLACE is never
referenced, so this suggests that the code uses the binding of PLACE in
some way which is not the case.

But when PLACE is even unbound (e.g. and unbound variable, or an unbound
eieio-object slot [a totally legitimate case!]), Edebug kicks me out of
the session and raises an error.  Edebug can't be used for such code.
That needs fixing.

TIA,

Michael.