Subject: Re: bug#46573: 28.0.50; Error when edebugging setting unbound place

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:13:36 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> >> I checked older Emacs versions -- (setf foo 'bar) works in Emacs 26.1,
> >> but not in Emacs 27.1.
> > Then we should try fixing it in Emacs 27.2, if that's possible without
> > risky changes.
>
> I plan to install the patch below into `master` to fix this problem, but
> I believe this change is sufficiently safe for the `emacs-27` branch, so
> you agree I'll install it into `emacs-27` instead.

I tried your patch (thanks for working on it) now.  The error is gone,
but in my example

  (setf y 3)

when I step with edebug the thing still stops after the "y" to say the
value is "3", not after the number "3" - that position is omitted.  Is
this intentional?

Thanks,

Michael.