Subject: bug#4657 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.1.50; duplicate entries in file-name-history from read-file-name)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:35:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4657: 23.1.50; duplicate entries in file-name-history from read-file-name

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4657: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4657
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.1.50; duplicate entries in file-name-history from read-file-name
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:26:50 -0400

> (defun foo ()
>   (interactive)
>   (read-file-name "File: (default ~/foo/bar) " "~/foo/" "~/foo/bar")
>   (message "%s" file-name-history))

> If I explicitly enter ~/foo/bar in the minibuffer, multiple
> executions of this command add this file to file-name-history only
> once. If I am lazy and just use the default value, each execution
> will add one more entry ~/foo/bar to file-name-history. I would
> expect that multiple equal entries in succession should always be
> avoided in file-name-history.

I've checked in a fix.

Subject: 23.1.50; duplicate entries in file-name-history from read-file-name
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 00:26:39 +0200

In a fresh emacs -q load and execute the command foo in order to
read the file name ~/foo/bar

(defun foo ()
  (interactive)
  (read-file-name "File: (default ~/foo/bar) " "~/foo/" "~/foo/bar")
  (message "%s" file-name-history))

If I explicitly enter ~/foo/bar in the minibuffer, multiple
executions of this command add this file to file-name-history only
once. If I am lazy and just use the default value, each execution
will add one more entry ~/foo/bar to file-name-history. I would
expect that multiple equal entries in succession should always be
avoided in file-name-history.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2009-08-03 on foo

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.ISO-8859-15
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-9-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction